Friday, March 09, 2007

Bloglet Las Jesus

Just a quick update on three unrelated bits of news:

1. Yes, I know all about the "Lost Tomb of Jesus" fiasco. And yes, it's bogus. Its advocates have not only made factual errors and crucial omissions fatal to their case, but their statistical model is completely wrong. I'm writing a critique of their claims for print publication, so I'll announce that here when it's published. But to make a long story short, they have not found the tomb of Jesus.

2. I will be speaking in Las Vegas on Sunday this May 6. Topic and other details have not yet been decided, so I will put a formal announcement here when everything is settled. I just thought I'd send an early heads up, since the date is already a done deal.

3. Bloglet is dead. That means it's no longer possible to "subscribe" to my blog. Worse, if you registered at Bloglet to receive emails announcing updates to my blog, you will not be getting them anymore.

I upgraded my Blogger template, so if you are blog savvy, you can try an RSS feed (the link at bottom is supposed to help with that), but that's no good for most people. What I want is a way to automatically email everyone who's signed up, whenever I add a new post to my blog. I would like suggestions on how to do that, especially if there are any services like Bloglet that actually work. I might just resort to the old low-tech, cave-man method of simply manually managing my own email list. But if there are better solutions anyone knows of, please comment.

For now, if you want to be notified whenever I post, email me at rcarrier@infidels.org with "Bloglist" in the subject field.

RC out.

8 comments:

Josh said...

I was going to say that RSS works just fine (it's how I'm reading).

A quick google search, and i might suggest you check out feedblitz (http://www.feedblitz.com/)

By the way, love reading your blog and other postings around. I've been working my way through your writings at infidels.org, and those are great! I keep using bits and pieces with my own discussions with a Christian friend of mine.

helensotiriadis said...

i read this post just fine on my google reader.

Zachary Moore said...

Second for FeedBlitz.

Krystalline Apostate said...

Feedburner is pretty good, & provides you w/plenty of options for your readers (including email). Just remember to write down your password.
Did David forward you my email (about the Atheist Blogroll)?

Rational Rogue said...

If any of your subscribers are using Firefox then utilizing the RSS feed should be an absolute breeze. Also, if any of them are using Thunderbird as an e-mail client, they can receive e-mail-like notifications whenever you post anything new. Since I have most abandoned Explorer, I can not offer and suggestions on how to use the RSS feeds with that web-browser. However, downloading and using Firefox is quite easy and I have to say fairly secure. Good luck all.

Michelle

Hellio said...

The Feedburner + Feedblitz combo is a good suggestion. It's extremely easy to implement.

http://www.feedburner.com

Unknown said...

Start a Yahoo Group. Everyone has to subscribe to your Group. You only need to send each email once, to the Group address, and Yahoo automatically forwards it to all subscribers.

Richard Carrier said...

DG said... Start a Yahoo Group. Everyone has to subscribe to your Group. You only need to send each email once, to the Group address, and Yahoo automatically forwards it to all subscribers.

Not to be snarky, but how is that an improvement on my just sending a single email to my own address list?

Feedblitz looks closer to what I had in mind. I'll look into it when I have free time. Which won't be for months, unfortunately.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice!